Friday 13 February 2015

I'm All About That Base

Firstly, let me apologise for the not-so-subtle Meghan Trainor pun in the title. I seriously could not resist. A flawless base is rule number one for great make up application. Without it, the whole look just falls flat. Yet, luckily there is a huge, huge, huge range of products out there for anyone and everyone to fit particular skin tones, colours, complexions etc - but you don't need me to tell you that. I've tried out a long list of products in the hope of achieving a flawless base for the rest of my make up and although I don't feel like I'm necessarily there in my search, the products I am currently using are definitely helping me on my way. That isn't to say that I love every product I am currently using but instead they're teaching me what types of products work well for my oily-to-combination skin and what products certainly do not. So in order of application...Hourglass Veil Mineral Primer (here): To be very honest with you all, I do not feel this is particularly worth the money. For a minuscule 10ml you have to be willing to fork out £20 which wouldn't be so bad if a little went a long way but instead I find I need at least two pumps per application to achieve the full effects of this product. There are no obvious differences to my skin once applied other then a slightly subtle radiant glow yet that's not to say that this will not work out for everyone. Interestingly, I bought this after receiving a large amount of recommendations. Yet, disappointedly I feel my search for the perfect primer is most definitely not over. Nars Sheer Glow (here): I don't know if I can actually summarise into words how much I love this foundation. I am currently working through my second bottle and still love it just as much as the first. The radiant glow, medium to full coverage and easily buildable formula with not an ounce of 'cakeyness' (is that a word?) in sight. If you are on the hunt for a flawless foundation, you need to try this one! Nars Radiant Creamy Concealer (here): This is one of my all time favourite concealers purely for its immense coverage, creamy consistency and its good application (with a lovely doe foot applicator) for both under the eyes and for concealing pesky blemishes. Although at £22 it is pricey, it does have a lovely performance. The only downside to this product being how quickly it drys out in the bottle. I feel some of my high street alternatives actually have a better competition when it comes to the products formula yet the good qualities weigh out the bad in my eyes so this still currently remains as a staple in my collection. Lastly, to set this all in place, I use the MAC Mineralize Skinfinish Natural in Light (here): This is my all time favourite powder and pretty much the only one I have used everyday for the past year and a half. I'm currently working through my second one of these and have just hit pan (yay!) which I feel, pretty much proves how much I love this. It's great at mattifying shine, adding a bit of extra coverage but certainly doesn't leave the face looking 'flat'. I can not recommend this powder highly enough!  

Let me know what you think in the comments!
What products do you use for a flawless base?

5 comments:

  1. Love your blog title! I also tried the Hourglass primer and that didn't wow me despite all the hype it has.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't do a flawless base everyday as sometimes its nice to have imperfections show. When I do want one, I always use a primer and setting powder, plus really good concealing.

    Erin | Erin and Katherine Talk Beauty

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need the sheer glow foundation in my life, it sounds amazing!
    xprincessjas | ♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loving the title! Also i really want to try out the nars foundation! Great post and I love your blog, just followed :D xx

    Beauty Girl

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVE all of these prods! I think we might have a very similiar flawless base routine!
    Kelsey x
    Kelstagram

    ReplyDelete